.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

 

14:25

I'm not going to waste time explaining about my lack of posting.

I went along with Justin on the Hailey delivery today (about 3.5 hours, round trip). Currently this is done once a week, but during the summer it will be twice a week, and I'll probably be taking it a lot of the time. It's mostly a long, flat stretch with lots of sagebrush.

Sunday was the Chinese New Year. It's the Year of the Pig. My boss was very happy that day, and passed out little red "lucky envelopes" to all the employees, each containing two dollars.

The men's Bible study has been rescheduled to 6:30 instead of 7:00 on Thursday mornings, which means it is early enough that I can go to it now. My dad has been going also.

I've got four minutes still but that's probably all I have to type write now.

Comments:
G-Ma says yeahhhh miah !!! Good to hear from ya.
 
Is there symbolism in or tradition behind the two dollars?
 
"On Chinese New Year's Day, hong bao, or red packets, are presented to children and young family members. Each hong bao contains lucky money for the New Year. The amount of lucky money in the hong bao varies, but it must be an even amount (for instance, a hong bao may contain two dollars, eight dollars, or ten dollars, but never one or five dollars)."

From here.

I'm not sure what the significance of "even" is, though. Haven't found anything useful yet.
 
"Ying and Yang: The Yin and Yang are the negative and positive principles of universal life. Yang signifies Heaven, Sun, Light, Vigor. It is symbolized by the Dragon and is associated with azure color and oddness in numbers. In Feng Shui, or the geomantic system of orientation, raised land forms (mountains) are Yang. Yin stands for Earth, Moon, Darkness, Female. It is symbolized by the Tiger and is associated with orange color and even numbers. Valleys and streams possess the Yin quality."

From here.

I don't know why the number needs to be yin, though. :^D Unless it's something to do with the valley stream image, like money flowing down into the valley? *shrugs*
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?