.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

 

23:40

My brain absolutely refuses to function before 6:00 in the morning. Having had enough sleep helps once 6:00 arrives, but before that it just means I'm well-rested and unable to process information. The only exception to this rule is if I stay awake all night. In that case, my reasoning ability starts a process of exponential decay, beginning at 22:00 with a half-life of 90 minutes, but leveling out at around 2:30 when it reaches 25%. It'll hover there for the rest of the night, and then increase again as high as 70%, maybe even 80%, when I tap into emergency energy reserves at dawn. This spike lasts until sometime between 9 and 11, at which point my body insists on a complete shutdown for maintenance and repairs. All of this is assuming there is no caffeine involved.

No, I haven't had any reason to pull an all-nighter in this job, but I do have a reason for trying to wake up and start functioning at 5:30 on Tuesday mornings. I've gotten as far as the "wake up" part. My last roommate has a quote on record of me saying, "righteousness begins at 6 am". I believe this was in response to his request that I define what I meant by an "ungodly hour".

On the bus this morning I met a kid who is in high school, but is also taking Calculus 3 at a local junior college. Furthermore, it sounds like he's doing well and enjoying it. He thought that my job sounded like fun.

Almost no one showed up to Bible study tonight; just me, the guy whose house it's at (and not his wife since she's out of town), they guy who leads the study, and one of his daughters. As a result, it ended up being just a prayer meeting and shorter than usual.

I've been thinking about the Rubic's Cube, viewed as a group on six generators. Rather hard to come up with a complete list of relations.

I finished reading War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, and The Jericho Sanction by Oliver North. I'm now starting over in my abridged version of The Journals of Captain Cook (from Penguin Classics). One interesting log entry from before the main voyage started:

"Wednesday 14th. Winds Easterly. First part fine clear weather, remainder Clowdy with squalls from the land attended with showers of rain. In the night the bend of the Hawsers of the stream Anchor slip'd, owing to the carelesness of the person who made it fast. In the morning hove up the Anchor in the Boat and carried it out to the Southward, in heaving the Anchor out of the Boat Mr Weir Masters mate was carried over board by the Buoy-rope and to the bottom with the anchor. Hove up the anchor by the Ship as soon as possible and found his body intangled in the Buoy-rope. Moor'd the ship with the two Bowers in 22 fathom water, the Loo Rock W and the Brazen head E Saild his Majestys ship Rose. The Boats imploy'd carrying the casks ashore for Wine and the caulkers caulking the Ships sides."

Comments:
If you really want to be functioning at 5:30 am, you need to work up to it. And you need to get up at that time (or close to it) everyday. Best way is to start with the time you normally get up, and start getting up twenty minutes earlier. When your body has adjusted to that, go for another 20 minutes, etc. Oh, and staying up late won't help. ;^D
 
Funny you should bring up the Rubic's Cube. I've dug mine out and am playing with it again.

Of course, I need solution directions to solve the thing.
 
My mind is alert and functioning immediately upon waking up, regardless of the time. It's my body that refuses to shake the sleep off.

Didn't you think the last passage (like, the last two pages) in W & P was rather misplaced? I thought the introduction of a basically new character was odd, and lame.
 
Now I feel cheated for all the mornings I have gotten up at 4:45AM, only to find out I rise even earlier than righteousness.
 
OH YOU ARE ALL SO TRUELY CUTE. When you retire you have alot more choices,
depending on the day of course! But it is a blessing from the Lord for all the years of hurry ups!!! A Day to look forward to in the not so rushed time... in this wonderful wonderful Life that the Lord gives us ... for one and all!!!
 
There've been semesters when I've gotten up at 6 every morning. I still couldn't make it earlier than 6.
 
Oh, in answer to Kate's question:

That character had been there since early in the story; he just hadn't been featured much. I think he was meant to represent Hope For the Future or something. I got the impression that the ending would make more sense if I understood the politics of the time better.
 
*grins* You do realize that, compared to when you were in Idaho, getting up at 6 is getting up at 5, right? ;^)
 
Excellent point, Qalmlea! We just made a trek to Oregon to look at colleges and it is amazing how quickly you forget that the time you are operating in is not your own. Although, I must say that when I got home it took me a couple of normal Idaho days before I felt rested.

I have tried and tried to make 5:30 my regular time of getting up and I just can't make it work. I also am unable to function before 6:00. I have a friend who was raised in the country and wakes up at 5:30 every morning no matter what time she goes to bed! That would be nice.

However, I think that Superman could only accomplish that early hour because he is Superman.

Why is there a handicapped symbol next to the word verification?

ET, phone home.
 
Yeah, I got the Hope For The Future aspect of it, I just think he did a crappy job of it; my heartstrings weren't tugged, at least. However, I will reserve judgement as it may be a serious case of bad translation. There have been so-so books that I've read that were kicked up a few notches in my opinion just by perfectly-worded endings that stick in my mind. So I'll blame the translator.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?