.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, March 24, 2006

 

17:50

Yesterday was interesting. I took the bus to meet Mr. Nickel to go do classroom observation at the private school, but he never met me at the bus station. Normally I go there on Tuesdays, but since there was no class on Tuesday I assumed we'd do it on Thursday, the same as last week. He failed to make this assumption. So, I took the 9:15 bus back, leaving me with about 2 1/2 hours to kill before Mr. Eby was expecting me back. Since he wasn't in the office, I left my bookbag there with the secretary and used the time to explore the town a bit, get a haircut, and eat brunch. It took me a long time to find a place to get a haircut, and I apparantly found the only barbershop in town. It being a tourist town, they also sell antiques, and the inside does not look like a barber shop. The chair you sit in to get a haircut is itself an antique; it is over 100 years old, but still in good enough condition that they use it every day. The lady said some people are horrified to learn they're using it as opposed to putting it behind glass, but she said after all that's what it's made for, adding that they'll sell it if they run into an interested buyer willing to pay a lot of money. I noticed that they had gold stars for sale that were shaped like stellated dodecahedrons. I have a Christmas ornament that looks similar in design but is a stellated icosahedron.

Comments:
I don't see the point of an antique chair that doesn't get sat in. Fine, some antiques were never useful to begin with, but chairs are chairs. If it's falling apart, fix it or demolish it.

Randomly Connected thought: people who collect old cereal boxes scare me.
 
First, I am surprised you didn't buy some of those stickers.

Second, I have always thought that the special dishes should be used, and the lamp shades should never have the clear plastic covering kept on them to keep them nice.

Third, old cereal boxes...?
 
zStickers?
 
Yup. I saw it on some tv documentary (probably about antiques in general). Some people are really into old cereal boxes. I think "recycle, burn, get rid of" on something like that. The old tin canisters are more understandable. At least they can still be used for something.

And I agree one hundred percent about using the good dishes. Why have them if they never get used?
 
Hello..
Bet it was fun exploring the town. It
in its self really looks antique in its
own way. Bet it was nice just to walk around and have time to breathe and take it all in. I love taking a glance on the cam as to how weather and all is there. Bet if we had known you were walking around we could have seen you.
Hopefully that will happen. Love G_Ma
 
It would take a lot of room to store old cereal boxes. Life is crowded with enough junk as it is.

Yes Fib, the gold star thingies with the mathematician's-interest-sparking qualities.
 
Those weren't stickers; they were three-dimensional. Like the Christmas ornament I have, only with five-sided points instead of three-sided, and 12 points instead of 20.
 
*Decides to be the antagonist* Maybe those people just like reading the back of the boxes; there could be interesting facts they might need to reference in the future. You never know, really. And besides, there's always the nostalgia factor: maybe they want to relive their childhood, and the best route is through looking at Babe Ruth or whonot of an old box of life cereal. So they have issues. Doesn't everybody? (If 'whatnot' can be a word, 'whonot' can be, too...)

Anyway, did the hair-cut chair have a crank or something to change its height, like modern dentist chairs have? Just think, Fib, once you live the equivilent of your current age three more times, you'll be over 100, too! Then you'll be an antique. Ha!

Wow, this is really long... Fare thee well.
 
Btw, Fib, when you comment on my blog, it takes the system a while to register on this computer. I know this because twice I have responded to someone's comment, then gone back later, and your comment is before my response, having not been there when I went to respond.It's quite ebarbative, really.
 
It's the teacher in me. When I read gold star, I assume you mean the little gold stars that students get on their papers when they do well. I knew you said it was similar to your ornament, and I wasn't sure what a sticker like that would look like, but it didn't occur to me that it was three dimensional.

And that, as they say, is how rumors get started...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?