.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, February 03, 2006

 

10:19

No news about the job yet. I'll report on that when I have something to report.

The board game has gone through a series of revisions and version 3.0 is close to being completed. Qalmlea volunteered to design the cards for me on Printmaster, which means that they have been getting designed rather than waiting to be designed while I think about other things. I don't think I'll have a new version ready to go tonight, which means Erik will even more disappointed that he played Heroscape last week instead. I wasn't anticipating that my most enthusiastic beta tester would be a twelve-year-old, but there you have it.

I've read a few more chapters in War and Peace. I anticipate finishing it this decade. It's rather hard to keep track of the various characters, so I'm probably missing some plot flow. I keep thinking it ought to be the first book of a trilogy. The second one should be called Freedom and Slavery, while the third should be called Ignorance and Strength. Long live INGSOC.

My roommate has been reading the Chronicles of Narnia, and is on the third book. (The Horse and His Boy, reading them in the order of the timeline within the story.) He seems to be taking to them quite readily for someone who never read much fiction. When he was a kid, he read encyclopedias and technical manuals.

Speaking of Erik (which I did three paragraphs ago), I have to figure out what to do with my Sunday school class next week. Week after next, we start the new curriculum, and last week we finished the old. I had thought we might do Ruth in two lessons, but it was no problem to finish it in one. I could make cookies again. That would eat up some time, pun intended.

My shift starts in 20 minutes. I'm scheduled to get off at 16:00 today. That would be kind of nice. It isn't likely to happen, though. We're a bit shorthanded and I'm typically asked to stay until 17:00 even if I'm not scheduled that late. I don't really mind the hours; it just would be nice if the schedule reflected reality more closely.

Comments:
The cards are done, except for printing out the rest of the spells. :^D Then they need to be cut out, of course, but I suspect a paper cutter would be of service to make the cuts as similar as possible. Will report back after trying this on my mom's paper cutter with a sheet that got messed up.

Btw, your current setup has 48 spell cards per deck, not 12. Not sure if that's what you had in mind or not.
 
What's INGSOC?

There are quite a few superfluous characters at the beginning of War & Peace. (And they all have ridiculously similar names.)Once you get to the halfway point, though, they've mostly dissipated. It took me about three months to get into the story, but it's worth it. Oh, and I think you may have an abridged version because I was looking at the various copies from different publishers at Barnes and Noble and they were all 1000+ pages, while yours is barely 700. Even accounting for page and font size, it seems shorter. I could be dillusional, of course.
 
Kate: I take it you haven't read 1984. Here is Wikipedia's take on INGSOC. :-) Re books that start slowly: The Eye of the World is another example (Robert Jordan). Once it gets going, it's great, but I would recommend that first time readers skip the prologue entirely.

Fibonacci: I just printed out the last sheet of cards. As far as paper cutters... So long as you're careful alligning the cards, they're helpful, but it's easy to get sloppy. And I don't recommend trying to do more than one sheet at once.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?