.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

 

20:08

Wednesday is now my big tutoring day. I have a student from 16:45 to 17:45, then three students in a row from 19:00 to 22:00. I ought to be tutoring the second student right now, but he hasn't shown up. He was notified of the time on Monday, but maybe he's one of those people who doesn't check email regularly. It's kind of a pain, because I'm meeting the 21:00 student downstairs in the same building. I don't want to just hang out here for an hour, but if I go anywhere else I have to come back. And I don't have any math books with me, because I was expecting to spend the whole time tutoring.

Random fact: You only need basic math skills to be a pet groomer. This is according to a poster here in the math lab, which shows what level of math is necessary for various careers. It also says that to be a computer programmer, you need "three to four years -- more math in college". But I'm not sure if I'd trust what the person who made this poster says about computer programming. The cartoon illustration shows a woman writing some kind of Star Wars game with a Tie-Fighter in it, but the screen is just covered in ones and zeroes. That's more low-level than machine language. I'm not sure if anyone has ever programmed like that. Also, her hands are on the main part of the keyboard, not the numerical keypad. In fact, looking closely, it doesn't have a numerical keypad. And it's only got three rows of keys, so it doesn't even have a top row with numbers. So how is she typing all those ones and zeroes? Her computer doesn't have a mouse, either. I guess it doesn't need one.

Comments:
You weren't at all bored there, were you? ;-) Have you noticed the poster with the spider yet? Just imagine how inspired an arachnophobe will be to see that one!
 
It also says that to be a computer programmer, you need "three to four years -- more math in college".

If that's what it said about computer programming, I don't see how it could be trusted on what it said about any of the other careers, either.
 
Thanks for joining us, Superman. Um...you're the programmer, not me. Do you think it requires more math or less?
 
Programming requires more than basic arithmetic, but less than advanced calculus. (I should know, since I never went beyond algebra II!)

Of course, it depends on what you are programming. For instance, what kind of math would you need for a hexagonal minesweeper game?
 
Just algebra. I used no calculus on that project.
 
hexagonal minesweeper game?
 
Just algebra. I used no calculus on that project.

Showoff.
 
Um, what could I possibly have used calc for? Everything was discrete.
 
You didn't want to integrate over the boundary of the hexagon to determine the number of mines around it? ;-)
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
*watches the discusison float over her head*

Huh.

*decides to criticize to boost self-esteem*

Mathematical anoraks.
 
Hmmm...
anorak: n. A heavy jacket with a hood; a parka.

We're mathematical parkas?
 
We're mathematical parkas?

Ah, that must be where the warm fuzzy feeling was coming from.
 
LoL. It's British slang synonymous to "nerd" or "square," and happened to be my unofficial word of the day yesterday. So I used it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?