.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, March 03, 2005

 

13:15

Well, we finally got people lined up to move the tables, I think. I can't be there on Friday because it has to be done at 15:00 and I run the math lab until 15:30, but my officemate will be there and the department head said he could find a faculty member to help out as well. I guess I'll help on Saturday, though. I also found out that I can still register for the conference, which is good. My work schedule will make me miss the Friday session (which is apparantly why it was so hard to find table-moving volunteers) but I can still go to the others.

It turns out that problem was way more complicated than I thought. The map I needed to define is a map from a group onto the dual space of a vector space. So you plug a group element into the top-level map, and you get a functional. Plug a function into that, and you get another function. Plug a vector into that function, and you get a vector. Three fun-filled levels of complexity. I was trying to prove that the map was a homomorphism on the wrong level.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?